Monday, October 27, 2014

I'm Leafing it All Up to You...


If you live out in the country, you might not have to worry about the leaves and how to get rid of them. The wind takes care of it for you! But, if you live in an acreage community around Omaha, there may be expectations from the neighbors or even covenants about keeping things tidy. So the question is: what to do with all those leaves???

You can blow them. You can vacuum them. You can lay tarps under the trees to catch them. But then what??? My parents used to burn them. I have to admit, I really enjoyed the smell of burning leaves but that is just not an option for folks living in acreage communities around Omaha any more. And, while it might be fun to use them in art projects, how many leaf rubbings can you put on the fridge???

After doing a thorough Internet search for leaf disposal suggestions, I came across this article on the gardners.com site. They have some good ideas on how to use leaves to help fuel next year's garden. I especially appreciated the information they offered about not mulching with whole leaves but rather shredded leaves in order to be certain that water and sunlight can still get through to the new plants. Check it out. I also came across this older blog that has some good eco-friendly thoughts on how to make an informed decision about leaf disposal.

Still not completely satisfied, I continued my search for an easier way to deal with the leaves in and around acreage communities in Nebraska. Then, I came across this video that reminded me of how I felt about Fall leaves when I was younger. Seems like I have lost site of the fact that while the falling leaves can create a lot of work, they can also create a lot of fun.


Until next time...
Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment